Pinellas choosing Resegregation?
On January 25, HOWARD TROXLER of the St. Petersburg Times wrote a response article (to blaming the Pinellas County school Board for recent rise in re-segregation of schools. As previously stated, choice may work well in a racially mixed area. But in suburbia, where income separates the housing and the races, middle-class America wants their children to go to local schools (stop busing) in addition to being with their friends and neighbors which make for a community. The problem is those schools are everyone’s choice and it doesn’t matter what ground rules are laid for making “choices” many schools will suffer greatly – are should that be many children will suffer? I agree with Mr. Troxler, they should have seen this coming.
It will be interesting to see how the schools are going to solve the equal education vs. resegration issues – and I pray they do. As an adult I still have friends from the third grade, with whom I speak often. I grew up in a suburban area which was racially mixed and I believe I gained the best of both worlds. I also have a son, who has been farmed from one “good” school to another. In middle school, he had to get up early to take public transportation, to a school two cities away (about the distance from Tarpon Springs to Clearwater), a much “desired” catholic school, which cost me dearly. In any event, I feel this school-neighborhood shopping has cost him dearly in terms of bonding and longevity with people. Educationally, I don’t think it has been that beneficial, however, socially I am sure it was. Hey…… didn’t Hochschild and Scovronick speak about that in “On Democracy and Schooling?

1 Comments:
Individual parents make their own hard choices, as you have, and sometimes it's hard for to reconcile ideals with the best options you see in front of you. In some ways, perhaps the best way to frame inequality is to ask who has to make the most or least choices among ideals.
Post a Comment
<< Home